pokeget is a bash script you can use to display cool sprites of pokemon in your terminal.
Table of contents
pokeget has support for all pokemon up to gen 8 including gen 8 and is written in bash.
You can also use
pokeget-lite if you think normal pokeget is bloated and you want something a lot simpler.
You can go to INSTALLING.md for instructions.
If pokeget is still functioning normally you can do
If pokeget isn't working you can use the uninstall script by doing:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/talwat/pokeget/testing/scripts/uninstall.sh)
in your shell to remove a local installation, and to remove a system wide installation do:
sudo bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/talwat/pokeget/testing/scripts/uninstall.sh)
Keep in mind if you did a system wide installation all users who used pokeget will have to delete their pokeget config files manually
The pokeget configuration files are located in
~/.config/pokeget so keep that in mind.
However, the original sprites and character designs are made by Game Freak.
The sprites have been converted into .txt files by me, so feel free to use them in other projects.
The help command is
pokeget help, if you need to get a quick reminder.
You can do
pokeget <pokemon national dex id> to display the sprite.
If you want a list of flags, you can look at USAGE.md.
To install pokeget, you will need cURL if you don't clone the repository and instead use the install instructions.
If you run it on macOS/darwin certain features will be disabled, but most things will work fine.
pokeget-lite is a much simpler script in comparison to normal pokeget. pokeget-lite is just under 40 sloc!
It has no flags or a config file, and is limited to small sprites only. It supports sprites up to gen 8 including gen 8.
- Talwat Lead maintainer and creator of pokeget.
- LoganWalls Made a script to scrape a list of pokemon. This helped a lot to be able to get pokemon with sprites instead of national dex id's.
- acxz Fixing a small spacing issue, and making feature requests.
- crstian19 Submitted pokeget to the AUR Arch User Repository.
- Vagahbond Made pokeget automatically know wether the user wanted to get a pokemon by ID or by name.
- res0nance Fixed a critical issue in pokeget-lite and made random pokemon work on macOS.
You can go to DEVELOPING.md for developer documentation.
If theres an other project you want to see a comparison to, you can go to OTHER_PROJECTS.md.
If a project you think should be compared/mentioned, open an issue or a pull request and I can add a chapter about it.
Compatibility with other shells
pokeget has only been tested on bash and is meant to be used with bash.
It can actually run on zsh, but it's still not recommended.
See OTHER_PROJECTS.md for some info about this.
- Add manual pages to the .RPM release of pokeget
- Add support for displaying pokemon with names instead of national dex id's.
- Add uninstall script.
- Add support for selecting random pokemon and random pokemon from specific generations.
- Make an official macOS port
- Move sprites to an external repository
During testing, some of the unicode symbols have displayed incorrectly, this is still being worked on. This basically boils down to external factors such as your terminal emulator. This is not an issue with pokeget.
pokeget uses a modified version of semantic versioning.
It goes MAJOR.SEMI-MAJOR.MINOR.BUILD.
It does not require empty
0's to be added to the end of the version number.
So you would do
There are 3 branches.
The main branch, which is a development branch. The testing branch, which is updated only when a commit passed all the tests. And a stable branch, which is updated every time there is a new release.