Backups are the most important part of securing your website. But many people are having a hard time finding cost - effective ways to back up the website. With the backuplift script, you can set up a backup to be stored on a Hetzner storage box.
- Run backup with cron,
- Takes 5-minutes to setup everything.
Manage multiple backup profiles: Create multiple profile.sh files to backup multipe wordpress sites.
- By default, profile.sh will send site files without compressing them.
- If you like to send files compressing them, use
- Make sure to test run once the setup is done.
- You must have rsync installed in your linux server. Test it by typing
rsyncin your terminal. If you see manual, it would mean rsync is installed already. If not, you'll have to install it.
How to use this?
STEP 1. Create SSH key for secure comminication.
- I have written down step by step way to create & authenticate your storagebox to your server, click here to read md file.
- *Only prorceed to next step if you were able to authenticate properly
STEP 2. download profile.sh file & upload to your server
- Create folder, name it backuplift.
- Then download the profile.sh & upload to backuplift folder.
- make profile.sh executable file.
- or you can type the following command to do it. [This will create folder, download the profile.sh file & make the file executable]
mkdir backuplift && wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/manoj-wpzonify/backuplift/main/profile.sh -P backuplift && chmod +x backuplift/profile.sh
- it would be good idea to do this in the
/homedirectory. of course you can do it anywhere you want.
STEP 3. Modify profile.sh file with your own storagebox details
- Open the profile.sh file
- And modify the following with your storagebox details
remote_dirs="" -------------> remote directory location. remote_user="" -------------> hetzner storagebox username. remote_server=""-------------> hetzner storagebox hostname. target_dir="" -------------> Your website directory path.
- Save the changes & close the editor.
STEP 4. Create cronjob that runs as per your preference
- You can find the example cronjob below. This runs midnight, you can customize the way you want.
0 0 * * * bash /backuplift/profile.sh